Dashboard - Dividers

Options

Hello,

I was looking to create dividers on dashboard and saw Genevieve's response to use a Title Widget and make it thin and long. How do you manage to do so?

I saw an example from your Template example and it showed vertically and very thin:

but here is what I managed to do (horizontal and much thicker):

My questions are: how to make it very thin? and how to make it vertically?

Thanks!

Tali

Best Answers

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You should be able to resize it. Instead of stretching it across the dashboard, drag the corner down. Then move it over closer to the other side to adjust the thickness.

• TaliRXM
    TaliRXM ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you. Will try once Smartsheet is back up and running

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • TaliRXM
    TaliRXM ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Paul,

Followed your suggestions and could have it vertical or horizontal but it is stili thick...

Thanks!

Tali

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey Tali -

For my use, I've utilized a literal image of a vertical line. I imagine that is what Smartsheet utilized for the screenshot you see above.

I use PowerPoint, create a line, then right-click it and click "Save as Picture". Try that!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• TaliRXM
    TaliRXM ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Brett.

I have a few "literal" horizontal lines saved in a PNG format, however, how do I get them onto the Dashboard? I don't want to use the Image widget and copy/pate of the actual line itself is not possible.

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@TaliRXM - Okay - just a quick question - not sure why you don't want to use the image widget (to me, that seems the easiest path), but where there's a will, there's a way!

First, add a Sheet Summary field that you'll add your picture to.

Mouse over the new field and select the 3 dots.

Choose "Insert Image", find your picture. Mine is a beautiful blue line, made from PowerPoint and then right-clicking the line and selecting "Save as picture".

what a beautiful blue line.

---

To the Dashboard!

Press the pencil icon to edit the dashboard, then the "+" button to add a new widget.

Oddly, you'll select "Metric" here:

Press "Add Data" then find your sheet, then make sure you press the "Sheet Summary" option at the top:

Check the little box next to "Line Picture", then hit "OK".

Initially, it'll look like this:

While this is obviously incredibly attractive, this isn't the photo we asked for, is it?

On the right side of the screen, you'll see "Metric Widget" options. Select "Stacked" under "Layout":

Now our beautiful line looks like this:

Getting there. Did I mention how beautiful of an artist I am? Wow. I amaze myself sometimes. What a beaut.

To remove the title, follow these steps:

• In the Metric Widget options, scroll down to Title
    • Press the ">" arrow
    • Uncheck the slider that says "Show title".

It should look like this when you're done.

You can make that smaller in width, and then drag it and resize it as you wish.

Let me know if that helps!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• TaliRXM
    TaliRXM ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your time and help Brett!

As you said 'What a beaut.'...

Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

Tali

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @TaliRXM

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Brett's excellent advice/answer.

You can use the save as new feature on the Dashboard I shared and then edit your copy of the dashboard and use the Copy/Paste option to add it to your own.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• TaliRXM
    TaliRXM ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you much Andrée 

Have a great weekend!

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Obligatory link to this guy saying "what a beaut" in nature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3JodBR-vs 😂😂😂

If my solution worked for you please mark it as a "Yes" so it counts as an answer; thanks!

Also Andree's suggestion to use copy/paste works across any dashboard; super helpful!

Love,

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@TaliRXM

You're more than welcome!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• RSP
    RSP ✭✭
    Options

@Brett Wyrick how do you deal with the different sizes by the same image. i.e. I have the same line twice on a dashboard but different lengths. Smartsheet automatically adjusts the width to make one look thicker than the other. Image attached to show what I mean.

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RSP The dashboard editor is finicky like that. Maybe upload a shorter line?

Love,

• Shane Sorensen
    Shane Sorensen ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I tried all of these suggestions and I cannot seem to get my line to be less than 6 squares wide in the dashboard. I have no issues adding a vertical line, but I can't seem to get it to be 2 squares thick. What's the trick?

@Brett Wyrick @Andrée Starå