Are reactions possible?

Hello,

Currently have a spreadsheet filled with company ideas. Each row is an idea. Users want to be able to support an idea by "liking" it with a reaction button or something of the like. Is there a way to do this and be able to track every person's "like"/endorsement of the idea?

Best Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Caitlyn.

Sadly no, there's no "reaction" option within Smartsheet.

You could create a Multi-select "People" field, and they could add their name if they like something. Then you could use a function like =MCOUNT(People@row) and it would count the number of people that have added their names to that row.

Would that possibly work?

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You could add all options to a multi-select dropdown list column or separate checkbox columns for each option. Put the sheet on a dashboard alongside a form and users can vote via the form while still being able to view the sheet. From there you would just need to tally up the results of the form submissions which would be relatively straightforward as well.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Caitlyn.

Sadly no, there's no "reaction" option within Smartsheet.

You could create a Multi-select "People" field, and they could add their name if they like something. Then you could use a function like =MCOUNT(People@row) and it would count the number of people that have added their names to that row.

Would that possibly work?

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• It could possibly work but I was looking for something a little less manual and a little more anonymous in terms of them having to add their names. However, it could be a nice solution in the meantime. Thanks!

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

You're welcome, Caitlyn. I will say this - I don't think you're going to find a "clean" solution for what you're looking for on this platform. If I'm being frank, I'd argue against the use of Smartsheet for this use case. It's just not made for this sort of collaboration (which is awesome, by the way - I wish all companies implemented something like what you're creating!).

What you're looking for, with company ideas that could be voted on, would be something like Nolt.io ($25/month) or ($0 cost, but you need to install a server - but it's open source and very flexible) Fider. Both can be set up to be anonymous, I'm sure. Microsoft used to use a service called UserVoice that was very similar and very popular - it was great to see the ideas out there and users could vote on the feature they'd like next. You could use your "company ideas" in the same way.

Wish you the best!

Love,

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You could add all options to a multi-select dropdown list column or separate checkbox columns for each option. Put the sheet on a dashboard alongside a form and users can vote via the form while still being able to view the sheet. From there you would just need to tally up the results of the form submissions which would be relatively straightforward as well.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome, howdy.

What about if I had 60 users all voting on a row - how could I show that it got 60 votes using the dropdown list column solution you suggested?

Love,

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would have a separate "intake" sheet that housed the form used for voting. The users would simply use the dropdown in the form to vote for the choice(s) that they like, then a COUNTIFS with cross sheet references could pull the form results to the tally sheet.

Or you could have that COUNTIFS on the same sheet that is published to the dashboard and people could see live which is more "popular".

10xViz.com