Countif with OR referencing multiple sheets

I would like to count the number of times a status is "Closed" on three different sheets. It can say close on either 3 of the sheets - just want to bring back the total on a summary sheet.

Here is what I have so far but think my OR is misplaced:

=COUNTIFS(OR({Sheet 1}, "Closed"), OR({Sheet 2}, "Closed"), OR({Sheet 3}, "Closed"))))

Thank you for your help!

Best Answer

• Kendra Hillmer
    Kendra Hillmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you so much!

If I ever had to take it one step further and add more criteria per each sheet - the status is Closed and the assigned to is Kendra - would it look like this?

=COUNTIFS({Sheet 1_Status}, "Closed", {Sheet 1_Assignee}, "Kendra", )+COUNTIFS({Sheet 2_Status}, "Closed", {Sheet 2_Assignee}, "Kendra")+COUNTIFS({Sheet 3_Status}, "Closed", {Sheet 3_Assignee}, "Kendra")

Thanks again so much!

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Kendra!

Thanks for posting your formula as text and not as a screenshot, that helps a lot!

I don't believe you need the OR function for what you're wanting. You just want a total # of "Closed" from each range, right?

If so, use this:

=COUNTIFS({Sheet 1}, "Closed")+COUNTIFS({Sheet 2}, "Closed")+COUNTIFS({Sheet 3}, "Closed")

Let me know if that works!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Kendra Hillmer
    Kendra Hillmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thank you so much!

If I ever had to take it one step further and add more criteria per each sheet - the status is Closed and the assigned to is Kendra - would it look like this?

=COUNTIFS({Sheet 1_Status}, "Closed", {Sheet 1_Assignee}, "Kendra", )+COUNTIFS({Sheet 2_Status}, "Closed", {Sheet 2_Assignee}, "Kendra")+COUNTIFS({Sheet 3_Status}, "Closed", {Sheet 3_Assignee}, "Kendra")

Thanks again so much!

• Kendra Hillmer
    Kendra Hillmer ✭✭✭✭✭

I just tried it and it worked!! Thank you again SO much!! I really appreciate your help!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!