How to split a multiselection dropdwn Column to various single columns

Options
Otman
Otman ✭✭
edited 11/12/21 in Formulas and Functions

Hi, I am sending a form for customers, and they have to select the regions when they want to have a service.

Once I received their selections, I need to split the

multiselections dropdown column to different column containing the different

regions selected but individually to be able to send specific notifications for

specific persons, please have a look to my example, and provide me any

suggestions, thank you in advance for your help.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This could potentially be rather tricky or it could be rather straightforward...

Will each selection always be two characters in length?

• Otman
    Otman ✭✭
    edited 11/12/21
    Options

Hi Paul, Thank you in advance for your help, in this case yes only two caracters in lengths, but i have another case where its 3, 4 or caracters in lengths for the multislections column, Please advice how i can resolve this issues. these informations are coming form forms, I would like to split them automatically to the individual answers to be able to send email and folders to specifics persons depending in the selection.

Best regards

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the case where it is only ever 2 you would use something along the lines of this...

=MID([Multi-Select Column]@row, 1, 2)

Then just keep adding 3 to the number in bold above to adjust which selection is separated.

For the other cases where they could be a variable character length, there are a few different parsing solutions here in the Community that you could search for/take a look at. You will know when you have found the correct one when you see that the first formula is a basic LEFT function and then the remaining formulas are a LEFT function with a nested SUBSTITUTE.

• Otman
    Otman ✭✭
    Options

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your answers, i highly apprecaite your feedback,

I did use this function : =IF(CONTAINS("AGA"; [Colonne4]@row:[Colonne4]@row); "AGA")

AGA was a selection from a multiselection drop down list (Colonne 4) in the formula and its works. I would able to split the difference chioces in the multiselection drop down list in various individual columns for ( 1 column for each choice) that help me to send specific automatic notifications and email to specific responsable of these areas.

Best regards

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!