Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Lable Status Dots

There are three dots: red, green and yellow.  I wanted to know if you can label them anything you want to.  When we were playing around with it we were able to either do Lables or Colored dots. Is there a way to have both?

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, Ann, your question is a little confusing. Could you elaborate? Where are you wanting labels vs. colored dots? The following smartsheet blog post highlights over 50 symbols that can be used. You are not limited to RYG symbols. 

• Building off of Mike's response it's also possible, using a formula, to use a "label" (text, like "Good") then turn the RYG column to the green colored ball. Or vice versa. 

• Let me try to rephrase what I'm looking to be able to do. 

SO the drop down menus that I know how to use are screen shopped. I know how to change the words on the first one (Not Started/In Progress/Ect). 

I'm looking to change the lables on the second one so that I have the Red/Yellow/Green/Blue Dots but also have phrases like "Problem" "In Progress" "Done" and "NA" on the drop down menu with the dots. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Hi Ann,

You can't change the text labels of the visual items on a Symbol column—those labels are static and can't be customized.

What you might consider doing is creating a formula with a Dropdown column (which is a different column type from a Symbol column) that will set your custom Dropdown option based on the symbol. An example of this type of formula is as follows:

=IF([Symbol Column]1 = "Red", "Problem", IF([Symbol Column]1 = "Yellow", "In Progress"))

You'll want to edit the above formula to include all of the symbols and corresponding dropdown options, as well as adjusting for your own cell references. More on formulas can be found in our Help Center: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/775363-using-formulas#if

This discussion has been closed.