Form/sheet versioning

Every year we will need to update some of the information in a form/sheet row. Is there a way to save multiple versions of the same form? (without having to go to each cell's history)

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Cathy Dahlman

I hope you're well and safe!

Not sure I follow! Can you elaborate?

If it's a Smartsheet form, you could duplicate the form and/or print it to have a copy.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Let's say I have 3 cells that have changed information each year, all other information stays the same but I want to keep the original as well. No printouts since we're basically paperless so I was looking for whether the tool saves the original row separately, yet keeps it 'attached' to the new row in a sheet.

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator

Hi @Cathy Dahlman,

If you'd like to keep a log in your sheet of information that has already been submitted without the need to look out in the Cell History, Saving your sheet as New could be a possibility.

From what you explain, it sounds like you'd also like to keep some invariable information in your Forms that is submitted with variable entries. You can achieve this by creating a hidden fields (see "Hidden Field" from Edit or Remove Fields in a Form (https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2481826-edit-or-remove-fields-in-a-form)" in your Form that have a default value (the information that will remain the same independently to the Form submission). I.e each Form submission will create a new row but will add an default extra value to the relevant Column that needs to show static information as in the following screenshots:

Note how the hidden field doesn't appear in the actual form but will be submitted with the selected default information

After the form is submitted all fields including the hidden one complete a row in the source sheet. This will keep a record of the new submitted information plus the information that you'd like to remain invariable in each row:

If I've misunderstood what you're looking to do, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your current sheet and set-up, but please block out sensitive data

I hope this can help with what you're trying to achieve.

Cheers,

Julio