List of reports using a column of a sheet

Is there any way to find out the list of reports using a particular column of a sheet?

I want to change the name and column property of a column. However, I would like to know the impact of this change on the multitude of reports that I have created on this sheet.

Is this possible?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Smtshtuser

No, there currently isn't a way to identify all the Reports that are looking at a specific column in a sheet by identifying the column. You would need to check each of the potential Reports individually to see if they're sourcing data from this sheet and column.

Please provide your feedback on this to the Product team by using this form, here!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Mike E
    Mike E ✭✭✭

I've written a Python script that uses the Smartsheets API to solve this exact ask. I've modified it for sharing and attached it to this post.

You need to have a Smartsheet API Access Token and also have Python and the smartsheet-python-sdk (v2.105.1) module installed to use the script.

The script asks the user for the name of a column to find and outputs a csv containing a list of Reports and their permalinks to help facilitate navigation. The original purpose of this was to help find which Reports would get broken when a column was renamed or a column's type got changed, and make it easier to repair them.

Note that I am not a professional developer/programmer, so please forgive any inefficiencies or poor practices contained within! As always, review and verify the function of ANY script before running!

• Thanks Mike for the help.

I will send this to my technical team to would be better qualified to work with the API.

Regards