Sheet Permission did NOT follow when moved to Workspace. Why? Anyone? Bueller?

I have a non-licensed user I added to a sheet. A month or so later, I moved the sheet to a Workspace and added individual permissions as needed. The non-licensed user tried to access it yesterday and could not. I checked Activity Log and could not find evidence of the sheet being Unshared for that person. I'm trying to figure out how such a scenario could occur given my current understanding of how sharing works.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Joe Wadlinger

You are correct; if you share a user to an item and then move that item to a Workspace, this will only add additional shared users (depending on the Workspace sharing list) and it will not remove anyone currently shared on that sheet.

The Help Article on this states, "Moving an item into a workspace will automatically share it with everyone who can access that workspace, as well as maintain sheet-level sharing permissions."

Is it possible that the user was unshared much earlier than yesterday, but they only noticed recently? Or that they are attempting to access the sheet from a different email/account?

If you cannot find the action in Activity log, I would recommend reaching out to Smartsheet Support with the sheet URL and the email address of the shared user so they can look into what may have happened.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @Joe Wadlinger

You are correct; if you share a user to an item and then move that item to a Workspace, this will only add additional shared users (depending on the Workspace sharing list) and it will not remove anyone currently shared on that sheet.

The Help Article on this states, "Moving an item into a workspace will automatically share it with everyone who can access that workspace, as well as maintain sheet-level sharing permissions."

Is it possible that the user was unshared much earlier than yesterday, but they only noticed recently? Or that they are attempting to access the sheet from a different email/account?

If you cannot find the action in Activity log, I would recommend reaching out to Smartsheet Support with the sheet URL and the email address of the shared user so they can look into what may have happened.

Cheers,

Genevieve