Requesting additional information in a mastersheet

I have a sheet 500+ rows long and about 150 unique users. This sheet is asking them to verify the data in their purchase orders. So for example, let's say I have 10 rows and 5 unique users, each user has 2 rows assigned to them. I want to send an email to them all at once from the mastersheet asking them to verify some specific data. However, I only want them to see the rows assigned to them and I want them to see all of the data in the sheet view. When they click the link to view the data, I want their view to be the same view as the mastersheet. But I only want them to see the rows assigned to them. Is this possible?

Answers

• hollyconradsmith
    hollyconradsmith ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kbenton,

This is possible with Dyanamic view, but not with the base smartsheet functionality. The best workaround I can think of is to set the workflow to send "message only" and add a link to a report that is set to be filtered by current user.

Holly Conrad Smith

Director of Technology & Innovation 💡 at Streamline

CliftonStrengths Top 5: Deliberative, Restorative, Achiever, Consistency, Harmony

• Thank you @hollyconradsmith,

I read up on Dynamic View earlier and it sounds like the way to go, however I just found out that my company may be moving away from Smartsheet. So extra spend may not happen. Not sure when we're gonna move, or if we will, but I need to get this figured out.

I'm not sure how to filter the sheet to where only a specific user can see their rows. and not restrict everyone else. This will be sent to 150+ users simultaneously so I would like for each of them to be able to view only their rows whenever they click the link.

The way I do it now is maintain a sheet for each individual and share it with them. It's all very manual and very time consuming.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kbenton

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Holly's excellent advice/answer.

• Another option if you have Enterprise could be to use the premium feature, WorkApps.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• hollyconradsmith
    hollyconradsmith ✭✭✭✭

@Kbenton ,

You would create a report that points to that sheet, and set the filters on the report to show assigned to: current user. Here's a link to how to sort and filter in a report: https://help.smartsheet.com/learning-track/smartsheet-intermediate/sorting-and-filtering

You would then paste the link to this report into the message text of your automation.

Holly Conrad Smith

CliftonStrengths Top 5: Deliberative, Restorative, Achiever, Consistency, Harmony

• Thank you @hollyconradsmith

I have a report created that is looking at that sheet and the updates from the sheet are flowing to the report as I want. However, my users will be updating the sheet rather than the report. I'm 1 of 2 people that will be utilizing the report.

When I send the sheet to everyone to update, how do I filter it to where they can only see what's assigned to them and cannot unfilter it? When Jon opens the sheet to update, he can only see and update his rows. When Bob opens that same sheet, he can only see and update his rows. I want all of my users to be working off of one sheet but can only see and update their rows. I think I've been using 'sheet' and 'report' interchangeably and this may have caused some confusion.

• hollyconradsmith
    hollyconradsmith ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Kbenton,

Unfortunately, that exact functionality that you want is tied to Dynamic View.

The best work around is to link the report in the alert requesting updates and have users update their info in the report that is built to show them only their assigned items.

Holly Conrad Smith

• @hollyconradsmith, that's what I was afraid of. So they will still need to update their individual sheets correct? There's no way out side of Dynamic View for everyone to only update one sheet?