anyone find a way to tailor the search results?

A colleague is using search (CTRL-ALT-F) but the term he is searching for shows up many times. It would be helpful if the results box included other columns (completion date, for instance). Has anyone found a way to include additional columns in the search box? Or otherwise tailor the search query to narrow down the results?

Answers

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @pjh ,

Have you considered applying filters? That way, you can show only the results that meet multiple criteria.

• pjh
    pjh ✭✭

Hi Heather. Thanks for the idea. Yes - I had recommended that my colleague use filters for now, but that just not a workable long-term solution for him. He needs to be able to perform these searches on many very large sheets and applying filters just isn't workable. If he could just add a column (completion date) to the search results he would have everything he needs in a single search.

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@pjh It would be worth making that as a feature request.

Another option would be to create a report - it could pull the results he needs from multiple sheets at the same time and compile it all in one place.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @pjh

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Heather's excellent advice/answer.

Another option that could help would be to select a range of columns, and when you search, it would be limited to that range.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.