Adding sheets to dashboards

Options

Is it possible to add a sheet as a dashboard widget?

I have a group of checklists that I would like to place on a single dashboard / portal. Checklists come and go and I could easily edit a dashboard adding a new list and removing not relevant one. I also can easily spawn a checklist from a master sheet (which I use in place of a template).

However, if only reports can be added to a dashboard, each time I need to spawn a checklist I need to spawn a pair of a list and a report. That would require to group that pair in a folder and instead of 6 to 7 checklist sheets in one place now I would end up with 6 to 7 folders one sheet inside in each.

Outside of adding a filter "show only unchecked items", the report will not provide any value. The report also loses the visual parent-child relationships of rows.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Vadim K

Depending on what plan-type you're on, you should be able to use the Publish Sheet feature to get a web URL of the sheet that then you can use in a Web Content Widget to embed on your dashboard!

See the following Help Articles:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Vadim K
    Vadim K ✭✭
    Options

I checked this out. The read-only view gets me the look I want but I cannot edit (including checking off the checkmark) and if I go for the full view the web content is essentially a sheet in the iframe - excessive to my needs.

I could probably still get what I need with read-only view but the web content widget does not have the widget behavior allowing going to the source. So when I am on that dashboard I cannot click on a widget to go to the sheet marking the item as complete for example or adding more items. Without me accessing the underlying sheet, this option does not work for me.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Vadim K

Thank you for clarifying the functionality you are looking for! Yes, if you're using the Read-Only published link you would need to have either a Shortcut Widget next to the embedded sheet or an Image Widget with an underlying hyperlink to send users back to the actual sheet to update the checklist.

However for adding new items, you could do this from the Dashboard if you set up a Form from the sheet and then embedded the Form into the Dashboard with the Web Content Widget as well. Then you can fill out the details for that task/row right in the Dashboard and it would submit to the sheet. I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Vadim K
    Vadim K ✭✭
    Options

What I am working on is a single page view for multi-bucketed check list. Each bucket is a sheet. Each bucket has a very specific position on the page based on attention level to the given bucket.

a) New buckets are coming often or old ones moved in the priority

b) Some buckets become either obsolete or degrade in priority.

To maintain printable layout I have a fixed number of buckets - 15.

To avoid dealing with folders, I have setup pre-set number of reports - A1 to E3 - with predefined position on the page. As a result, moving buckets across page means I have to change the source of reports associated with impacted position, I have to change the title of the widget, and I have to change the item in the widget behavior. But this is closest to get to the one-pager printable view and ability to interact with checklists inside buckets.

Ability to add sheets as a widget without a proxy report would remove a lot of chunkiness from the process (as well as ability to clone this structure for other users).

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Vadim K

Thank you for explaining further! Based on this set-up, the only other thing I would suggest is to create one Report from all of your sheets/buckets, then use the Grouping feature to Group by the Sheet Name in order to separate out the checklists.

Please also let the Product team know about your suggestion and request for additional widgets through this Product Feedback form, here.

Thank you!

Genevieve