Navigating to the source sheet from a report

I cannot find a way of navigating from the report to underlying source (apart from sheet name column, which messes up with the presentation - so I typically remove the column form the view).

Plus, having the sheet name on each row is annoying. So in few other instances, I grouped a multi-sheet report by sheet name. The sheet name in the sheet name column is a link but sheet name as listed in the group header is not - bummer.

The only workaround I found so far is to go to row properties and click on the row link which would lead to the source sheet, from which I can navigate to other rows I need to use. Clunky.

It would be ideal to have a tool bar or side / feature bar icon to navigation to selected source sheet (to prompt for selecting a source for multi-source sheet or go directly for single source one).

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Vadim K Have you considered building a simple dashboard? You could have the report as the main item, and configure the report so that on click it takes you to the sheet. Or just add another widget that is a direct link to the sheet(s) in question.

dm

• Vadim K
    Vadim K ✭✭
    edited 12/14/21

I am doing lots of dashboards these days. But it does not replace a need for navigation from the report.

For example, from the dashboard widget I can navigate to the source - which would be a report. But from report I need to jump to the underlying sheet.

Printing the dashboard widget is limited to a rectangular area of the widget while report could be multi-page. Meaning a user needs to be able to work with report - as it is intended for report usage use cases.

I also have cases for standalone reports - printable summaries from the sheet. Maybe to apply grouping, sorting or limit a number of columns. I may need to expand that view to see all columns, all interactions and row hierarchy - for this I need to go to an underlying sheet.

In one case - project initiation document - I have 5 sheets for each section of the PID. The PID report with all 5 sheets stitched together is my user's starting point. But editing - especially creating new rows - is preferable in the underlying sheets. PID dashboard simply makes no sense.

• Vadim K
    Vadim K ✭✭

I know how to get from the report to the sheet - through row properties. It is just clunky and will not work for reports against sheets with no rows passing the report filter.

And creating artificial dashboards around reports just to have either a shortcut to a sheet or navigate to a sheet as a widget behavior requires extra up-front work for no reason.