Report not showing Data when a second sheet is added

Hello,

I have a report that displays data properly but as soon as I add a sheet, my data vanishes from the columns before I even add any columns from the newly added sheet. I searched for a similar question but those issues had to do with filters but I have none. Why do I lose my data when I add my new sheet prior to adding columns from that sheet? Thanks!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Susan Vieira Do you know which sheet is showing you the rows that appear blank? Maybe rows from the newly added sheet are at the top of the report, so you see them. But because that sheet doesn't have the columns currently on the report, those rows are blank?

To check, add in the column called Sheet Name to make sure you know which rows you are seeing.

dm

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Susan Vieira Do you know which sheet is showing you the rows that appear blank? Maybe rows from the newly added sheet are at the top of the report, so you see them. But because that sheet doesn't have the columns currently on the report, those rows are blank?

To check, add in the column called Sheet Name to make sure you know which rows you are seeing.

dm

• Susan Vieira
    Susan Vieira ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dale Murphy

That's exactly it!! By scrolling down I was able to see the values I thought were blank in lower rows. So I assume to see everything on same rows, both sheets should have the same columns, yes? I may create them and hide them so I can see data on same row.

Thank you so much.

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Susan Vieira The columns have to have the __exact__ same names, AND they have to have the same properties (e.g., both must be date or dropdown ...). And "Primary" will show up as primary but you can rename it for reporting purposes.

Cheers,

dm

• Susan Vieira
    Susan Vieira ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dale Murphy So I am still encountering same issue even though columns are same properties (all Text/Number) and exact same names (I did copy/paste) of column header names. Could it be because on one sheet it is a Fx column and the hidden version is not?

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Susan Vieira Sorry, what is a "FX column"?

If you hover by the name of the column when adding columns to the report, the tool will show you which sheets that column is on. If you don't see all your sheets, then there is a problem with the column definition in the sheet that is missing from the list.

(You should get a list similar to what you see on the right when your mouse hovers over the name of one of your columns.)

dm

• Susan Vieira
    Susan Vieira ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dale Murphy A formula column. :)

OK thanks, I will check that out.

• Susan Vieira
    Susan Vieira ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dale Murphy, I see the columns and it shows they appear on both sheets by hovering as you described, but the data does not appear on same row. I have to scroll all the way down to row 162 to see data from the columns of one sheet.

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Susan Vieira I think you are trying to see how many times a certain value appears across several sheets? (Sorry, I may not have understood your objective at the beginning. A report won't collapse rows together, except through the use of groups.)

Have you tried grouping and summarizing to see the result you want?

dm

• Susan Vieira
    Susan Vieira ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dale Murphy I apologize, I don't think I was clear is what I was asking.

Both sheets have a common date row. I was hoping to see the values from both sheets, on that date, in the same row. But as it stands, I get the date repeated in Date row and need to scroll down to the end to see the first date repeated, and then see the the value from second sheet on that date at the bottom. So yes, I did group by date to get to see my data lumped together. That is my workaround I ended up with. :)

Thanks so much!