Filter options not showing

Hi all,

I am trying to create a filter to only show one selection from a drop down list. When I begin to create the filter and go to select which option I'd like to filter, it's not there. The option shows up on the form and in the Smartsheet but does not show as an option when I try to add it to a filter. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hannah

Tags:

Answers

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator

Hello @hhmorris

May you provide a screenshot (please block out sensitive data) of what you are seeing in your sheets, filter options, columns you are referring to & any additional details to help further assist?

Cheers~

Krissia

• @Krissia B

Here is a screen shot of the 7 drop down selections and then the filter. The filter is only showing 3 of the 7 options.

• @Krissia B

Any idea? Screenshots are above.

• Stefanie Sebastiao
    edited 12/21/21

I am having the same issue. Out of 4 options I have in my drop-down list only 1 or 2 of my options are showing up when I am trying to create a filter. Also, when I add an option it does not recognize the option I add as one of my drop-down options in my sheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Stefanie Sebastiao

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @hhmorris

I hope you're well and safe!

In your case, it seems like the comma or something makes Smartsheet think it's one option.

Try adding a space between.

Was that the issue?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy Holidays!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I am having the same issue as described above by @hhmorris and @Stefanie Sebastiao, and I'm not seeing a resolution in the chain or in my other searches. My dropdowns are functioning correctly,

but when I try to create a filter for a particular drop-down selection, the selections skip from option 1 to option 4, 5, 6...

Any insights?

• Hey @mgreenwalt

Can you check to see if those Values are part of the Column properties or if they're just entered in cells in the sheet? To check the Column list, double-click on the name.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• @Genevieve P. I think I've checked correctly. The missing drop-down values (D2 and D3) are included in the column list entered under "Values" and entered on separate lines. They all come up when clicking a cell as drop-down options available. It was suggested by a community member that I remove punctuation marks like slashes and semi-colons, but I'm not sure this is the root cause since other options that are showing up in my filters use slashes and semi-colons. Any other ideas?

• Hey @mgreenwalt

Can you post a screen capture of your Column properties and copy/paste the values that aren't appearing here into the Community? I'd like to test and see if I can replicate this behaviour with your specific values.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• @Genevieve P. - hope below is what you're asking for - also happy to share the sheet if you have an email address I can send it to; the values are:

D2 Instructional Materials: HQIM Core Approved Products (THL)/CRIMSI; MIZ; Dyslexia Tools; Phonics Reading System; College Prep Course)

D3 Instructional Materials: HQIM Supplemental Approved Products (THL/CRIMSI; MIZ; Dyslexia Tools; Phonics Reading System; College Prep Course)

and you'll see in other values that slashes (D7) and semi-colons are used, but not necessarily inside parentheticals, if this matters.

• Hi @mgreenwalt

Thank you for this! So I can see that your two selections have 135 and 142 characters each. When I cut the character count under 100, they appear as options to filter by.

Are you able to shorten the dropdown selections?

• @Genevieve P. shortened and solved - thank you!