Is there a way to create a specific email template that can be used in an automated workflow?

I know how to set up an automated workflow that can send data elements from within a sheet in an email. The issue I have is Smartsheet limits the number of characters you can have when setting up the email from within the automated workflow and does not not allow you to include links to a website.

Is there any other way to automatically send an email from within Smartsheet that contains data from the sheet that would allow me to include the additional characters that I need an contain hyperlinks?

Answers

• What type of workflow are you sending? I have never had an issue with limited characters or adding hyperlinks.

I use an automated Alert work flow and instead of including the different columns I do a message only and then use the {{column name}} within the message to bring in the data from that row and column. You can copy and add a hyperlink in the body of the message also. If the hyperlink does not work as intended on the alert for the recipient I would use a helper column that has the link in it and include that column with the {{ }} around it in the body of the Alert message.

This works for me in multiple workflow types.

• K Miller
    K Miller ✭✭✭✭

I am using an Alert workflow. I created a column in my sheet and added the hyperlink in the column. I added the column with the {{ }} and it pulls in the text but not as a hyperlink in the message.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @K Miller

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange!

It should work!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots including the URL? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Delta D Blurton
    edited 02/23/22

Did this get solved? I am having the same issue as K Miller. I created a 'helper' column and the url text appears but not as a hyperlink in the alert message

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Delta D Blurton

I hope you're well and safe!

It should work!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• K Miller
    K Miller ✭✭✭✭

Delta, I still cannot get it to work. The helper column pulls into the email alert but only as text and not a hyperlink.