Create Approval for Entire Smartsheet Board

Options

Hello,

I'm trying to create an automated approval for a template board. After reviewing how to build automated approvals, it looks like the only options are for a trigger when a row changes or a date is reached. Does anyone know of another way to trigger an entire board for approval? What I'm trying to build is a requirements document and have stakeholders approve the entire document.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Happy New Year!

M

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @M Morgan

I hope you're well and safe!

You could add a so-called helper column or use the Sheet Summary section to trigger it manually by checking a checkbox or similar to trigger it.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• M Morgan
    M Morgan ✭✭
    edited 01/03/22
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå

That sort of worked. I created a submission/approval/declined column, a Sheet Summary trigger that added a checkbox to each line item and setup the automation. However, once I check the Sheet Summary trigger, it sent me an email for each line of the spreadsheet, not 1 email for all. Is there a way to create an entire spreadsheet automation in 1 email notification rather than a granular row automation?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@M Morgan

How many rows can there be?

Other options (depending on the structure) could be to use the Proofing or/and Document Builder features.

Would that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• M Morgan
    Options

Thanks again for your response, Andree.

Unfortunately, those options won't work either, as proofing would mean I would need to upload the same sheet that the team is reviewing and unless I upgrade, the document builder only allows for a pdf version to be created. It seems like there isn't a viable option that I can find to approve and entire sheet within Smartsheet.

Thanks for your help, it was great to learn about both of those options and I'll refer to them when needed in the future.

M

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@M Morgan

Happy to help!

Another idea!

What about using a Report? Would that help in any way?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!