Copying Information Automatically (cell linking)

Gabby M.
Gabby M. ✭✭
edited 01/04/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello Smartsheets community.

I currently receive an excel doc on a weekly basis, I would like to take some of the information from this document and have it automatically populate on a smartsheet I have. (specific columns)

Since the document is updated on a weekly basis, I am not sure how I can go about linking information without deleting previous data.

Is cell linking the best option?

thanks

Best Answer

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hard to tell by your description here. In some cases I sort the sheets by date and copy/paste them in to fill in the information. In other cases, I paste in the new data into the bottom of the sheet and have a column that counts the unique column which triggers an automated move to a trash sheet when the count gets larger than two. Lastly, I have a data dump sheet which I paste in all the information to and another sheet references that data dump sheet and uses similar logic to the previous example but pulls in the highest matching values of the unique column count. The approach all depends on how much data you have. Once you reach too many the only real option is lots of manual work or purchasing the Smartsheet Data Shuttle.

Answers

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hard to tell by your description here. In some cases I sort the sheets by date and copy/paste them in to fill in the information. In other cases, I paste in the new data into the bottom of the sheet and have a column that counts the unique column which triggers an automated move to a trash sheet when the count gets larger than two. Lastly, I have a data dump sheet which I paste in all the information to and another sheet references that data dump sheet and uses similar logic to the previous example but pulls in the highest matching values of the unique column count. The approach all depends on how much data you have. Once you reach too many the only real option is lots of manual work or purchasing the Smartsheet Data Shuttle.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Gabby M.

I hope you're well and safe!

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• I recently developed a solution for a client where we used a so-called import sheet to add information, and then that would populate the main sheet.
    • The Premium app Data Shuttle would be perfect if you'd like to automate it completely.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.