How to autogenerate a row after filling Data in a form?

We have a form that is being summited daily, and creates a row for each day. Some fields have the same input example Activity Name, Reference Number and so on that are specific for each person filling the form. The aim is to have the form filled the first time, and the next day only request updates on specific fields. The issue is that we do not want to update the same row or overwrite the cells, yet what it is needed is to create a new entry with the fields that are not required to be updated already filled with the data from past entries on the same sheet.

Please need help on this can be possible. And better to have a solution based on what SmartSheets Offers maybe an add on could work.

Best Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Eddy Deeb

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use the form for the first submission and send a daily alert or provide an URL pre-filled with the values by using the URL-query feature.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Eddy Deeb
    Eddy Deeb
    Answer ✓

I am not sure I totally understand the solution, but to help more describe what we have please find below:

we have a form that when filled it will generate a row in the sheet. Now as long as the task is not completed we will need updates on some columns. the issue is that when we request an update for these columns it overwrites the old entries in the cells.

What I am trying to find out if there is a way to have these updates on a different row generated automatically when the update request is filled; while preserving the similar data; thus having 2 rows with the same data that are not needed updates, yet different in the ones updated. And unique to each employee.

I am not sure I have explained it better but please let me know.

Thank you for the help and may this year provide you the wishes and health.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Eddy Deeb

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use the form for the first submission and send a daily alert or provide an URL pre-filled with the values by using the URL-query feature.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Eddy Deeb
    Eddy Deeb
    Answer ✓

I am not sure I totally understand the solution, but to help more describe what we have please find below:

we have a form that when filled it will generate a row in the sheet. Now as long as the task is not completed we will need updates on some columns. the issue is that when we request an update for these columns it overwrites the old entries in the cells.

What I am trying to find out if there is a way to have these updates on a different row generated automatically when the update request is filled; while preserving the similar data; thus having 2 rows with the same data that are not needed updates, yet different in the ones updated. And unique to each employee.

I am not sure I have explained it better but please let me know.

Thank you for the help and may this year provide you the wishes and health.