Import Specific Entire Columns from one sheet to another

Options

It seems something this simple is overly complicated. I can copy, move, manipulate rows...but columns? Why is this so difficult?

I have tried VLOOKUP and INDEX. Both I feel I am getting nowhere.

Sheet 1 (Master, holds all data) I need to pull specific columns only to Sheet 2. As rows and data are added to Sheet 1......Sheet 2 needs to continue to update the data from Sheet 1 columns specified. Please Help!

Below is my latest's try that is returning #INVALID REF. Please note that {Veh_Make} is Reference for a specific column on Sheet 1

=INDEX({Make}, MATCH({Veh_Make}, {Make}, 0))

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@J Smith

Excellent!

To have the other sheet add the row(s), you'll need to add the number manually, so if you expect to have 500 records, you'll need to add them manually either by adding something else to the row (if you're using an auto number), or by drag fill down.

Make sense?

Did that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @J Smith

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas and connect them by using the auto-number column in the main sheet, adding a so-called helper column to the other sheet, and filling down the amount you need to connect to the main sheet. (I'd recommend using an INDEX/MATCH structure)

Make sense?

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• J Smith
    J Smith ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am still struggling with this. My latest formula attempt:

=INDEX({Make_Model}, MATCH(Make@row:Model@row, {Veh_Num}, 0))

Returns "Incorrect Argument Set"

Make_Model is Referencing two columns on the source sheet

Veh_Num is referencing the automated identifier on the source sheet.

When referencing multiple columns, which cell on the target sheet is the appropriate one to place the formula?

• J Smith
    J Smith ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I managed to get the formula to work. My issue now is the automated # system will only put a # down if the row was updated. If I add data to Sheet 1 (Master) then Sheet2 will not know to grab the new data

Thoughts?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@J Smith

Excellent!

To have the other sheet add the row(s), you'll need to add the number manually, so if you expect to have 500 records, you'll need to add them manually either by adding something else to the row (if you're using an auto number), or by drag fill down.

Make sense?

Did that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!