Conditional formatting based off of blank date cell

Options

Hello! I have tried to solve this problem with a lot of experimentation and reading many posts in the Smartsheet Community. Unfortunately, I just can't get it to work.

I am trying to change the color of the circle symbol of a status field based off of the value in a date field (Target Date). I want the symbol to turn gray if the Target Date is blank. I have tried this based off of evaluating the date field itself as well as eventually creating a helper column. The helper column populates a "1" if the Target Date is blank. Then, I am referencing that helper column in my Status formula. still can't get it to work. No matter what I try, if the Target Date is blank, it just keeps updating the Status color to Red.

Here is my most recent version of the formula, attempting to utilize the helper column:

=IF([Target Date]@row < TODAY(-7), "Red", IF(AND([Target Date]@row >= TODAY(-7), [Target Date]@row <= TODAY(7)), "Yellow", IF([Target Date]@row > TODAY(7), "Green", IF([Helper - Target Date Blank]@row = "1", "Gray"))))

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @bridgets

You want to check to see if it's blank first otherwise the blank will trigger the Red. Try this formula

=IF(ISBLANK([Target Date]@row), "Gray", IF([Target Date]@row < TODAY(-7), "Red", IF(AND([Target Date]@row >= TODAY(-7), [Target Date]@row <= TODAY(7)), "Yellow", IF([Target Date]@row > TODAY(7), "Green", ""))))

Answers

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @bridgets

You want to check to see if it's blank first otherwise the blank will trigger the Red. Try this formula

=IF(ISBLANK([Target Date]@row), "Gray", IF([Target Date]@row < TODAY(-7), "Red", IF(AND([Target Date]@row >= TODAY(-7), [Target Date]@row <= TODAY(7)), "Yellow", IF([Target Date]@row > TODAY(7), "Green", ""))))

• bridgets
    Options

Thank you so much @Devin Lee !! That fixed it and your explanation of why makes sense as well. Thanks again

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!