Column formula with flagged parent/child rows

Options

Hi all,

I wrote a formula that would cause the parent row to be flagged if any of the child rows were flagged:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Protocol ID]@row)) > 0, IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), 1) > 0, 1))))

I want to be able to convert this to a column formula, so I created a "level" column so that parent rows would be labeled as level 1 & child rows would be blank, then I wrote this formula:

=IF(Level@row = 1, (IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Protocol ID]@row)) > 0, IF(COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), 1) > 0, 1))))

This worked just fine when the formula was just applied to the parent & child rows, but when I converted it to a column formula, I couldn't flag the child rows anymore and the formula therefore didn't work.

Is there a different way to write or apply the formula so that this will apply when applied as a column formula?

Thank you!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @ejrbean

I hope you're well and safe!

When you use a column formula, you can't change anything in the column manually, so you'd need to use so-called helper columns to make it work.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ejrbean
    ejrbean ✭✭
    Options

That makes sense. What kind of helper column would you recommend? I have a level column (that marks parent rows as level 1 so that I can apply conditional formatting to parent rows) and a "breadcrumbs" helper column that indicates the parent row and sheet on the children rows (for reference in reports and if I copy or move rows). Would there be a formula that could incorporate one of these that I could use, or would I need a different helper column?