How can I make a pie chart that aggregates dropdown choices in a column?

I have survey results that I need to make into a chart - for example, let's say for a question where they rate something from 1-5. Ideally, in a pie chart, it would show that x% of respondents answered 4, x% of respondents answered 5, etc. But instead, each row is getting its own pie slice.

How can I make it so that it's counting each answer choice as a percentage of the whole?

thank you in advance!!!!

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The way I would do this is to make a metrics sheet that reads from the your survey results and does the counting, and then use the metrics sheet to create your graph:

Create two columns in your metrics sheet, "Rating" and "Count"

Create a row for each rating, 1 through 5. In the count column for each of these five rows, use a formula to count the total responses in your survey responses sheet that equal that rating. When building your COUNTIF formula, use the Reference Another Sheet link that comes up after you type =COUNTIF( to select the Rating column from your response sheet:

=COUNTIF({Survey Response Sheet Rating column range}, Rating@row)

On your dashboard, add your chart widget, selecting your data from the metrics sheet.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The way I would do this is to make a metrics sheet that reads from the your survey results and does the counting, and then use the metrics sheet to create your graph:

Create two columns in your metrics sheet, "Rating" and "Count"

Create a row for each rating, 1 through 5. In the count column for each of these five rows, use a formula to count the total responses in your survey responses sheet that equal that rating. When building your COUNTIF formula, use the Reference Another Sheet link that comes up after you type =COUNTIF( to select the Rating column from your response sheet:

=COUNTIF({Survey Response Sheet Rating column range}, Rating@row)

On your dashboard, add your chart widget, selecting your data from the metrics sheet.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• JessW
    JessW ✭✭✭