Nested IF formula with Multiple conditions

Options

Hi,

I am trying to create a formula in the status column and I keep getting an error message.  I wanted to make the status column a calculation to limit the amount of work the editors has to do. 

I have never been great with nested if statements, but I got it to work in Excel. I was able to get a simple If statement formula to work but am stuck on this one. I keep getting an #Unparseable error. I am cross-eyed now trying to figure out the problem. Is this something you can help me with?  

Desired Formula is:

If actual completion date is blank and the planned completion date is less than today, "Not Started"

If actual completion date is blank and the planned completion date is greater than today, "Late, Not Started"

If actual completion date is less than planned completion date, "Complete"

If actual completion date is greater than planned completion date, "Complete Late"

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Emily Zeiger
    Emily Zeiger ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Actual completion date]@row), [Planned completion date]@row < TODAY()), "Not Started", IF(AND(ISBLANK([Actual completion date]@row), [Planned completion date]@row > TODAY()), "Late, Not Started", IF([Actual completion date]@row < [Planned completion date]@row, "Complete", IF([Actual completion date]@row > [Planned completion date]@row, "Complete Late"))))

Answers

• Emily Zeiger
    Emily Zeiger ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Actual completion date]@row), [Planned completion date]@row < TODAY()), "Not Started", IF(AND(ISBLANK([Actual completion date]@row), [Planned completion date]@row > TODAY()), "Late, Not Started", IF([Actual completion date]@row < [Planned completion date]@row, "Complete", IF([Actual completion date]@row > [Planned completion date]@row, "Complete Late"))))

• Sharon Isaac
    Options

Hi Emily,

Thank you for the guidance on the Formula. This really helped me achieve what I was looking for as a framework, and I got to modify the formula logic further to suit my requirements.

Sincerely appreciate the support!

Sharon

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!