Used in Formula for <unknown sheet>

Options
Matt Stewart
Matt Stewart ✭✭
edited 01/20/22 in Formulas and Functions

i see this everywhere. i know its from when i delete projects and such, they will leave this leftover trace/breadcrumb ... but why? And does this impact performance? some cells in some sheets have tons of these, so im just wondering why they dont auto remove themselves or how to easily manage those as opposed to clicking every cell of every sheet and then manually clicking to delete link to <unknown sheet> for every occurrence.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Matt Stewart

If you delete a Sheet that has a number of cross-sheet references looking into other projects, the small grey arrow and the sheet reference link will automatically disappear from that Source sheet without you needing to make any edits or manually delete them.

The <unknown sheet> title identifies that there is an active sheet looking into your current sheet, but you are not shared to it (so you do not see the name of it displayed).

To manage these, you would need the Admin or Owner of that other, active sheet to delete the reference into your current sheet through the Sheet Reference Manager on their side (see: Formulas: Reference Data from Other Sheets).

I hope this helps!

Genevieve

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!