Error Importing Excel file - Too many rows

I got the error below on our first attempt to import an excel file, so we made some edits and shortened it to 1,100 rows and gave it a new name. However, we still receive this error attempting the import. What gives?

Answers

• Hi @Tina Rustvold

Do you have other tabs in that excel file? If so, try making the first tab its own file, then import this instead. Although the import will only grab data from the first tab, sometimes the other tabs can cause the upload to fail if they exceed limits.

Let me know if that helped!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Tina Rustvold
    Tina Rustvold ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Genevieve--that was what stumped me, it did not.

It was almost as if Smartsheet wasn't reading the changes. I even designated the 1100 rows as a print area, thinking SS was still reading anything ghosted in the previous cells. So weird...ended up coping the the rows to an entirely new file and that did the trick. Glad to know I was on the right track, but also thought it was good for the SS gurus to know about. :)

• Yes, it's good to know that you came across this error with only 1100 rows! Thank you for posting your question and your resolution.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi,

Can you help me please?, I need to import a lot of date from excel and from different files, and my data is so big in all the cases because I need to analyse historical information so in my case I cannot cut any info.

How can I do this in Smartsheet?

BR,

Andrea

• Hi @Andrea_KS

If your file is too big to import into Smartsheet, you'll need to break it out into different documents and import it as multiple, separate sheets.

Here are some help articles that have more information:

Cheers,

Genevieve