Pull specific values from a column in one sheet to another

Options

Hi! Hoping to find an answer to what seems to be something simple, but may not be.

I have a sheet with a list of project types (as values in a dropdown list). In another sheet, I am using Smartsheet DataMesh to pull specific columns over, but for that project list, I only want one project type (example: Display Ads only).

I can see that DataMesh will not allow me to pull over only a specific type. I do not want to use a filter, because the other users do not need the other data at any point. I also don't want a total. I am looking to pull full raw data of just this project type. Is there another way to accomplish this?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 02/01/22
    Options

Hi @Cindi Meche

Instead of using the full sheet as the source for your Data Mesh, try creating a Report from the original sheet that filters by "Display Ad", then use the Report as the source. This would make sure that only the relevant rows are being mapped in your workflow.

Let me know if this makes sense and will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Cindi Meche
    Cindi Meche ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you! I'll give this a try.

• Brenda
    Options

Hello Genevieve,

Sorry it's taken me a little bit to get back to you. I was working with Cindi on this project and created a report that filters. And it filters perfectly!

However when I use datamesh to pull the data from the filtered report it still pulls all of the data, Display ads and the other values into the new sheet.

Is there something else I can try?

Please and thank you!

Brenda

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Brenda

Is it possible that you still have the previous DataMesh workflow set up, looking at the sheet, so this is the data you're pulling through?

Since those rows don't exist in the Report after it's been filtered, then DataMesh would not have been able to grab that content.

Would you be able to check your DataMesh configuration again to ensure that the DataMesh workflow you ran was the one based on the Report, not the Sheet?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Brenda
    Options

Hello Genevieve,

So the data mesh is pulling from the report. ie in the below example (Digital Boards instead of Display ads) but the concept is the same there.

I've changed the lookup values for Dash Mesh to reflect the row ID and I've also tried changing the lookup value to the category that is being filtered, in this case "Type".

I appreciate your help!

These are the option on the DataMesh I selected:

Let me know if you need anything else,

Brenda

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Brenda

The Lookup Value would need to be the unique identifier between rows, so it sounds like your Row ID is the one to select.

Then you would want to map the other columns (such as the "Type") across sheets in the Mapping portion of the workflow.

Without seeing the source data on both sides, the workflow configuration looks good! This should find the Row ID across both items (Report and Sheet) then update current rows as well as add new ones as they're added to the Report. Data Mesh wouldn't be able to see the underlying source sheet, so it will only be able to map across the rows that are visible in the Report.

If you're still seeing additional rows come in, do you have other workflows set up, mapping to that same destination sheet?