How to block Gantt Calendar display settings

Hello,

Do you know how we can "block" the settings about gantt calendar display ?

Here when I define primary and secondary headers on the calendar, they are not saved and when I come back on the sheet a few days after, I need to redefine again the parameters.

It is okay for me but it is a problem because some people in my organization are only viewers or editors and cannot change settings on the sheet.

Do you have already encountered this problem ? Is there a way to change this ?

Thank you, have a nice day,

Corentin

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Corentin Dal Farra

I'm unable to replicate what you're describing; the sheet will stay in the same timeline view as I last saved it as long as I'm the Owner. However, I have no collaborators on my sheet so no one else could change the settings.

I would suggest contacting Support with a screen recording, showing what the timeline is when you save it, exit, and then come back with with the changed timeline. They'll be able to troubleshoot this with you further in a private channel where you can share more details.

Here are some images to explain what the behaviour should be. If I set a View in the Project Settings like so, then the view will appear like that:

However I can also click on these icons to change the timeline:

So now it appears like so:

If I am an Admin or Owner on the sheet, saving the sheet after doing this will also update the Project Settings:

However if I'm just an Editor or Viewer, the Project Settings won't be changed. This means that the next time I access the sheet it will revert back to the original Project Setting Timeline Display. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Corentin Dal Farra
    Corentin Dal Farra ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As an example : I have saved month as primary header and week number as secondary header. When I save and close the sheet, I come back and I see that the settings have changed without dooing anything.

• Hi @Corentin Dal Farra

Is it possible that you have shared users with Admin access on this sheet that are adjusting the view?

Anyone can click the + and - icon in the Gantt view to zoom in or out and change the timeline view, however it will only affect others viewing the sheet if the user is an Admin and saves the view as they exit the sheet. (See: Adjust the Gantt Chart Timeline)

Let me know if it sounds like that could be the issue or not!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Corentin Dal Farra

Hi @Genevieve P.

I just made the test as the owner of a sheet, and the gantt chart timeline settings are changing when I exit and save the sheet

I have this view before leaving the sheet (the expected three level of views and settings) :

And when I come back just after the view is reset :

Unfortunately in my use case all people cannot be admin and change gantt chart timeline settings

Do you have any suggestions about that ?

Thank you,

Corentin

• Hi @Corentin Dal Farra

My apologies, I think I may be misunderstanding the issue.

For the first 3 images, with the 3 views, do you mean that each time you Save the sheet in that View the exit, when you come back in it looks like the 4th image, no matter what timeline you were in before?

Anyone shared to the sheet can adjust the + or - to see a different view. If an Editor saves the sheet with that view, this will not impact anyone else looking at the sheet. But if an Admin or Owner saves the sheet with a view applied, this will then show up for other users when they access the sheet, too (it adjusts the timeline in the Project Settings). Does that make sense?

• Corentin Dal Farra

Hi @Genevieve P.

No problem, thank you for taking the time to help me with this use case,

Yes exactly, each time you Save the sheet in that View the exit, when you come back in it looks like the 4th image, no matter what timeline you were in before

I am sorry but I do not think I understand your last point, do you have some screenshots to illustrate this point maybe ?

Thank you, have a great day,

Corentin

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Corentin Dal Farra

I'm unable to replicate what you're describing; the sheet will stay in the same timeline view as I last saved it as long as I'm the Owner. However, I have no collaborators on my sheet so no one else could change the settings.

I would suggest contacting Support with a screen recording, showing what the timeline is when you save it, exit, and then come back with with the changed timeline. They'll be able to troubleshoot this with you further in a private channel where you can share more details.

Here are some images to explain what the behaviour should be. If I set a View in the Project Settings like so, then the view will appear like that:

However I can also click on these icons to change the timeline:

So now it appears like so:

If I am an Admin or Owner on the sheet, saving the sheet after doing this will also update the Project Settings:

However if I'm just an Editor or Viewer, the Project Settings won't be changed. This means that the next time I access the sheet it will revert back to the original Project Setting Timeline Display. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Corentin Dal Farra

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thank you for your help, it is very clear,

I will contact the support team.

Have a nice day

Corentin