Holidays auto-populated in Vacation planner?

I'm trying to utilize the vacation planner across our team, but the calendar that's showing up doesn't have US holidays on it - which seems weird. Is there a way to get them populated anywhere so the holidays are populated on the calendar so it's taken into consideration when individuals are planning vacation?

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Angela Cooper

Holidays aren't automatically set in Calendar or Gantt views as each country has different dates that will need to be customized. If you're using this sheet as a Project sheet with a Gantt View and dependencies enabled, you can define holiday dates in the Project Settings window so these dates aren't included in the Duration of tasks (see: Define Working Days, Non-working Days, and Holidays on a Project Sheet)

However if you're just using this as a Calendar and you want the Holiday to be visible on that date (perhaps as a different colour), then one option would be to set up a section at the top of your sheet which lists out all the US specific holidays so they show up in your Calendar View in Smartsheet.

An alternative would be to use this Smartsheet Calendar to overlay on top of an external Calendar that already has these holidays populated (such as your Goolge or Outlook Calendar). See: Publish a Smartsheet Calendar to iCal

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Angela Cooper

Yes of course! I'll pass this feedback along to the Template team that created the Vacation Planner sheet - that it would be helpful to have a pre-filled Holiday category at the top where users can quickly identify their countries dates without needing to create new rows.

Please feel free to submit any of your other enhancement requests to the Product team through this form as well.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Angela Cooper

Holidays aren't automatically set in Calendar or Gantt views as each country has different dates that will need to be customized. If you're using this sheet as a Project sheet with a Gantt View and dependencies enabled, you can define holiday dates in the Project Settings window so these dates aren't included in the Duration of tasks (see: Define Working Days, Non-working Days, and Holidays on a Project Sheet)

However if you're just using this as a Calendar and you want the Holiday to be visible on that date (perhaps as a different colour), then one option would be to set up a section at the top of your sheet which lists out all the US specific holidays so they show up in your Calendar View in Smartsheet.

An alternative would be to use this Smartsheet Calendar to overlay on top of an external Calendar that already has these holidays populated (such as your Goolge or Outlook Calendar). See: Publish a Smartsheet Calendar to iCal

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thanks, Genevieve. This is a bummer. Smartsheet's pretty smart, but I feel like this is a miss. This was one of the reasons I was using the vacation planner - so I wouldn't have to manually set holidays (and I don't want the foundational vacation planner to be tied to my calendar). I wonder if this can be an enhancement request?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Angela Cooper

Yes of course! I'll pass this feedback along to the Template team that created the Vacation Planner sheet - that it would be helpful to have a pre-filled Holiday category at the top where users can quickly identify their countries dates without needing to create new rows.

Please feel free to submit any of your other enhancement requests to the Product team through this form as well.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Awesome. Thanks, Genevieve!