Daily Automated Workflow when a row is changed - each instance or a final state?

If I choose a daily workflow alert to a person when a row is changed, and the row changes 3 times in the day - all in the same cell (like the date due), will the recipient get each change in the daily email or just the last recorded change?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Amy Anderson

To add to Seth's answer, a Daily Workflow will bundle together all the rows that meet the criteria you set, but it will not send duplicates of the same row with historical information.

The workflow will wait to send out until the time you specified. Then at that time it will check to see which rows had a "modified" date of Today (regardless of how many times it was modified), and include those rows with the current information visible in the sheet into the email.

This means that in your scenario the user would only see the last recorded change in the email. If you want them to see each individual change to that same cell, I would suggest having an email sent out immediately instead of daily.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Seth Morth
    Seth Morth ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Amy,

You can configure the Automation of the workflow to send that to a recipient when:

When a date is reached (where you chose the day of the week, the time for the update to be sent, and what the date range you want it to run for [Run Once, Repeat])

When rows are added or changed (Usually as soon as someone changes something and clicks Save)

You can send the text of one or more cels in the subject line of an email and your own additional text, and you can send the values of one or more cels and your own text in the body of the email.

Read more here!

• Seth
  • Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Amy Anderson

To add to Seth's answer, a Daily Workflow will bundle together all the rows that meet the criteria you set, but it will not send duplicates of the same row with historical information.

The workflow will wait to send out until the time you specified. Then at that time it will check to see which rows had a "modified" date of Today (regardless of how many times it was modified), and include those rows with the current information visible in the sheet into the email.

This means that in your scenario the user would only see the last recorded change in the email. If you want them to see each individual change to that same cell, I would suggest having an email sent out immediately instead of daily.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• @Genevieve P.

thank you, that is very helpful. I was doing some testing in the meantime as well. Appreciate the answer!