Linking to both the start date and finish date of a predecessor

EdR
EdR
edited 02/08/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a task that can start 1 day after the predecessor task start, and will finish one day after predecessor task finish. Can I link to both the start and finish of the predecessor in one row? I'm imagining a predecessor formula that looks something like nSS +1, nFF +1 however that doesn't seem to work. The duration would calculate based on any updates to the start or finish of the predecessor. Any help is much appreciated.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @EdR

There currently isn't the ability to have a task's start date dependent on a predecessor and that same task's end date also have a dependency - you will need to decide on one or the other.

I would suggest putting in 1SS + 1 and then manually add in the same Duration number in order for the task to match the previous task. This does mean if your Predecessor end date is adjusted out further you will need to manually update the duration or end date of this next task.

Please let the Product team know of your feedback on our project features by filling in this form, here!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @EdR

There currently isn't the ability to have a task's start date dependent on a predecessor and that same task's end date also have a dependency - you will need to decide on one or the other.

I would suggest putting in 1SS + 1 and then manually add in the same Duration number in order for the task to match the previous task. This does mean if your Predecessor end date is adjusted out further you will need to manually update the duration or end date of this next task.

Please let the Product team know of your feedback on our project features by filling in this form, here!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• This is a very basic function, and has been asked for several years in this community. It really helps a lot of users if smartsheet can make it happen.

Thanks