MS Project Import

Dear all - I recently had to import a 500ish lines worth of .mpp plan. Upon import, the dates of the .mpp were not matching the dates of the Smartsheet plan.

I checked to see any custom holidays were imported and yes they were - I have a theory that the imported plan may have slack on some tasks which Smartsheet ignored and brought in auto scheduling? I am not sure.

Has anyone else encountered and be able to guide?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @SM_PM

Microsoft Project has some features, such as constraints, that are not supported in Smartsheet. Additionally, MS Projects has Successors, which is not currently available in Smartsheet. This means that when you import the file, Smartsheet will ignore and Successor specifications which could be why your dates are showing differently.

There are a couple of tips for importing MS Project into Smartsheet:

• Make sure the rows in MS Project are expanded before saving the mpp file - collapsed rows creates havoc with predecessors which in turn affects dates
    • Changing Constraints Back to Normal - remove constraints before  importing the file in Smartsheet. Here are steps from Microsoft's Help Center.
    • Try saving the .mpp file as .xml and importing the new .xml copy - this should solve most of the issue with dates changing when importing MS Project into Smartsheet  

There's another Community Post here that discusses importing MS Project into Smartsheet.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @SM_PM

Microsoft Project has some features, such as constraints, that are not supported in Smartsheet. Additionally, MS Projects has Successors, which is not currently available in Smartsheet. This means that when you import the file, Smartsheet will ignore and Successor specifications which could be why your dates are showing differently.

There are a couple of tips for importing MS Project into Smartsheet:

• Make sure the rows in MS Project are expanded before saving the mpp file - collapsed rows creates havoc with predecessors which in turn affects dates
    • Changing Constraints Back to Normal - remove constraints before  importing the file in Smartsheet. Here are steps from Microsoft's Help Center.
    • Try saving the .mpp file as .xml and importing the new .xml copy - this should solve most of the issue with dates changing when importing MS Project into Smartsheet  

There's another Community Post here that discusses importing MS Project into Smartsheet.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now