New Licensed User shows as having a trial version

I recently assigned a licensed to a brand new user. This user accepted the invite and logged in. As they started to use SmartSheet they see that their account is a trial version. Is this normal for a new user even though they have been assigned a license?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Timothy Twitchell

No, if you've granted an email address / contact a License, then they would not be on a Trial account.

There are a couple of things to check here; first, have the user try fully logging out of all instances of Smartsheet, then log in again to see if it updates.

If this hasn't helped and the Plan Info still says they're on Trial, make sure that the email address they're using is the exact same as the one you've added in User Management.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Timothy Twitchell

No, if you've granted an email address / contact a License, then they would not be on a Trial account.

There are a couple of things to check here; first, have the user try fully logging out of all instances of Smartsheet, then log in again to see if it updates.

If this hasn't helped and the Plan Info still says they're on Trial, make sure that the email address they're using is the exact same as the one you've added in User Management.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi, jumping in here! Same problem, licensed user, (we're on Enterprise plan) has been given SysAdmin role still has no access to anything and has to request the owner (me) to grant them access to smartsheet. Very odd, to say the least. Any idea why?

Thank you,

Axel

• Hi @axelrodo

When you say that they don't have access to anything, do you mean access to Smartsheet items (such as Sheets, Reports, etc)?

System Admins have the ability to adjust account settings, but they do not automatically see every Smartsheet item for your account. They will need to be shared as a collaborator on that Smartsheet item, just like any other account type. Does that make sense? See: Share a Smartsheet item

• Hi Genevieve,

I've added them as a licensed user with all permissions but they still had to ask for the owner of sheets (me) for permission to access, and offered to upgrade to a paid plan (when we're on an Enterprise one). So I made them System Admin in case that would change anything, but no, they are still being offered to upgrade to a paid plan. Bizarre...

• Hi @axelrodo

My apologies for the delay! Were you able to sort this out?

The image you supplied does not show the expected behaviour once someone has been granted a license.

They would still need to request access to sheets, but they should no longer see an upgrade button. At this point I would recommend reaching out to Support with the following information:

• User's email address
    • Screen captures of Upgrade button for that user (with the Account window open to verify email address)
    • Screen capture of how you set that user up in the Admin Center
    • Troubleshooting that you tried (logging out / in, browsers tested)

They'll be able to verify the permissions this user should have and check what may be happening with that specific account.

Thanks,

Genevieve