How to align column in when grouping reports

Anuraag
Anuraag
edited 02/08/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I am grouping a report on a given column (e.g. column A) and showing all rows under that group. However column for grouping is still shoing a width which i wish to get rid of. as shown in below or in attched document.

Equipment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Part 1

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Part 2

I have used xxxxxxxxxxx to show spacing only here

I want to see it formatted as below

Equipment

Part 1

Part 2

so save some spaces and npt push out the columns. Any idea?

Anurag

Answers

• Hi @Anuraag

You can adjust the width of columns in a Report by hovering over the place where one column meets another, up at the top with the Column Name:

Then drag in the line to the desired width:

Here's a Webinar on Reports that you may find helpful: SmartStart: Reporting

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Anuraag
    Anuraag
    edited 02/10/22

Thanks Genevieve, I am familiar with adjusting column width. But my Issue is that my information in my column (Equipment name) is longer so reducing the width is going to truncate the name. I just wanted to indent-in all flowwing lines so not to waste space on screen. Please see my attchached screens. Inmy Screen to-be I want users to see full name of equipment.

• Hi @Anuraag

Thank you for clarifying!

The Grouping header will appear on the Primary Column in the Report. This means that if the Primary Column has different detail than the column you're using to Group by, then yes, you will need to expand out the column width to see the full name (which will expand out the cells below it as well, creating the "indent" you're referencing).

There currently isn't a way to expand the Grouping header without also expanding out the cell width below it. Please provide the Product Team with your feedback by using this form, here.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now