Nested IF formulas

Hello, I'm new round here. Please excuse the entry level ask.

I have an array of 3x3 cells. In each row only 1 of the 3 cells will be completed and I want to return a value from another cell depending on which of 2 the 3 cells are blanks.

I have these 3 formulas working as expected in isolation, but I am struggling to nest them into one formula that I can convert to a column formula.

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Planning Phase]@row), ISBLANK([Event Type]@row)), [Task Strap]@row)

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Task Name]@row), ISBLANK([Event Type]@row)), [Planning Strap]@row)

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Task Name]@row), ISBLANK([Planning Phase]@row)), [Event Strap]@row)

Can anyone help with the syntax or propose a more elegant solution?

In case some background is useful. I want to apply a different strap label items in my Gantt chart depending on whether the items are Project level plans, Project Milestones or Tasks within a Sprint.

Many thanks,

Jim

Tags:

Best Answer

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try this,

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Planning Phase]@row), ISBLANK([Event Type]@row)), [Task Strap]@row,

IF(AND(ISBLANK([Task Name]@row), ISBLANK([Event Type]@row)), [Planning Strap]@row,

IF(AND(ISBLANK([Task Name]@row), ISBLANK([Planning Phase]@row)), [Event Strap]@row)))

Answers

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try this,

=IF(AND(ISBLANK([Planning Phase]@row), ISBLANK([Event Type]@row)), [Task Strap]@row,

IF(AND(ISBLANK([Task Name]@row), ISBLANK([Event Type]@row)), [Planning Strap]@row,

IF(AND(ISBLANK([Task Name]@row), ISBLANK([Planning Phase]@row)), [Event Strap]@row)))

• Jim B
    Jim B ✭✭✭

Yep. That's it. Pesky brackets!!

Thanks so much for your help you have saved me many hours of unscrambling.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!