Auto Populate Form Field Based on Form Field Entry

Hello Smartsheet Wizards,

Is there a way for a form field to auto populate based on a different form field entry?

For example, our contracts have different authorized signatories (Field 3) based on the type of contract (Field 1) and value of the contract (Field 2).

I would like Field 3 to auto populate based on what is entered in Fields 1 and 2.

For example, Field 1 drop down selection is "independent contractor" and Field 2 drop down is "up to $25k."

Based on Fields 1 and 2, "VP of Operations" from the drop down auto populates as the authorized signatory.

Fingers crossed for some magic!

Cheers,

OxfordCommaUser (always)

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @OxfordCommaUser

I hope you're well and safe!

It might be possible to structure a solution using the Form Logic and Helper Columns / Form Fields with set default values.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée Starå,

Appreciate your response. If you have the time, I'd appreciate a little more hand holding on how "Form Logic and Helper Columns / Form Fields with set default values" will help me implement Field 3 populating a specific value based on what's entered in Fields 1 and 2.

• E.g. If Field 1 is General Contractor and Field 2 is $25k, then Field 3 populates with VP of Operations
    • E.g. If Field 1 is General Contractor and Field 2 is $50k, then Field 3 populates with EVP of Operations
    • E.g. If Field 1 is Event Contract and Field 2 is $5k, then Field 3 populates with VP of Development

Logic Rule #1

• If Any (insert contract type) is entered, then display Value Field.

Logic Rule #2

• I'm stuck here, because I don't simply want a Field to appear, I want a specific value within a Field to appear based on how Rule 1 and Rule 2 are answered.

How are Helper Columns the solution?

Do I create separate Helper Columns for every possible Field 3 outcome? Title each Helper Column accordingly (e.g. outcome 1, outcome 2, etc.), and then provide a single, required drop-down option (e.g. VP of Operations, EVP of Operations, etc.) that the person completing the form is forced to select?

I think I'm answering my own questions as I "talk" through this. :)

If I'm missing something or completely off, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to submit this comment so it's here for others.

Cheers,

OxfordCommaUser

• It worked! After building out every possible outcome (each having its own Helper Column), then linking the rules accordingly, I was able to accomplish what I wanted: that Field 3 auto-populates (w/default value) based on what was entered in Fields 1 and 2.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/11/22

@OxfordCommaUser

Excellent!

Happy to help!

I've developed one with Rank 1-4 for 4 items, and if you select Rank 1 for Item 1, you'd only get Rank 2-4 as options, and then if you choose 3 you'd get Rank 2 and 4. It took some time to structure with all the different options.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.