How do I combine two live columns on separate sheets into one combined column in another sheet?

ISSUE:

I'm trying to take two columns, and combine them into one column so I can use Data Shuttle to keep a dropdown updated with the values.

MORE DETAILS:

I have two separate staff list sheets. Each sheet contain a column that lists every staff member in a specific organization. I want to combine all the staff members into a single column on a new sheet. The reason for this is so I can use Data Shuttle to keep a dropdown constantly updated with a list of all staff members from all organizations.

I'm good with setting up Data Shuttle and making that keep the dropdown updated, but I'm struggling to figure out how to combine these columns into one I can export daily using Data Shuttle.

Answers

• Hi @carsonblu

If you're just looking for a way to export the list of names to then attach for a Data Shuttle workflow, what about creating a Report from your two sheets?

As long as the column name is the same in both of your sheets, you can create one list by selecting these two sheets as the source for the Report and then having this one column selected as well. You can then Sort the Report to create an order that you'd without affecting the underlying sheets.

See: Select Source Sheets for Report Builder

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thanks for the idea @Genevieve P.

This does work to give me a combined list of employees, but I'm unable to connect a Report to an Offload Workflow in Data Shuttle. You can only setup Data Shuttle to update dropdown values from a Sheet, not a Report.

• Hi @carsonblu

Yes, you're correct; if you use a Report then you would need to manually export the Report (or set up an automated email with the Report attached) then upload it to the other sheet as an attachment to trigger your initial Data Shuttle workflow.

An alternative to a Report may be to use another app if you have access to it: DataMesh can combine two sheets together to create one list without duplicate values.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now