trying to compile "other" comments from a survey

Hi! I am trying to compile survey data into a single page. The same survey will be used over and over and the data will keep adding to the data sheet.

I have a few multi-select dropdown columns, which each have an "other" category that then opens up the "other" field in the survey if selected. Often, this is not used.

I am summarizing this data in another sheet, which adds up all the categories. I would also like pull the "other" cells in automatically, and without blanks, so would like the information from "Time for Other" in the raw data to end up as a list in the "other time requests" column in the other sheet, and same with "open feedback"

Thanks!

Andra

Answers

• Hi @andra_saunders

One way to do this would be to bring all of the "Time for Other" entries into one cell, using JOIN(COLLECT.

Ex:

=JOIN(COLLECT({Time for Other Column}, {Time for Other Column}, <> ""), " / ")

However if you're looking to parse out the different comments down different rows, the best way to do this would be through using a Report instead of a formula.

You can filter the Report by the cell in that column not being blank. You could set up a second report for the other column as well, then put both of those Reports into a Dashboard so you can see all comments side-by-side, along with the other numbers you've gathered in this data sheet.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!