columns not visible to select while building a summary report

I am unable to view any columns to select from different sheets added to build a summary report. All i am able to view are the system generated columns

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @sgaonkar

Depending on what you need to do in the Dashboard, you should only need to create one report. It's the type of report that will be different.

The Row report is the type of report you should be choosing:

A Row report is still one report that can bring all of your data together from multiple sheets, where you can create Groupings and Summary data. See: Build a row report

But a "Sheet summary report" only takes data from System Columns and this Sheet Summary Field:

I believe that you are looking to map your rows and columns together from all of your different sheets, which is why you should choose the Row report, versus a Sheet Summary report which is specific to this pop-out window. Does that help clarify?

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Hi @sgaonkar

I saw your comment on the other post and answered you there! Here's my response if anyone else is coming up against the same issue:

It sounds like you may have selected Summary report instead of Row report.

• A Summary Report will only take the System Admin columns and the Sheet Summary Fields in the side panel of the sheet.
    • A Row Report will look at the Columns and Rows in the actual grid of the sheet.

See this Help Article for more details: Overview: Report Types

Try creating a Row Report to calculate your summaries instead! Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve, thanks for the response. I am trying to create a dashboard and for that trying to create summary report consolidating all the project plans i have. is there any other way or i need to build report for each of the plans i have and then build another summary report to bring in the dashboard?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @sgaonkar

Depending on what you need to do in the Dashboard, you should only need to create one report. It's the type of report that will be different.

The Row report is the type of report you should be choosing:

A Row report is still one report that can bring all of your data together from multiple sheets, where you can create Groupings and Summary data. See: Build a row report

But a "Sheet summary report" only takes data from System Columns and this Sheet Summary Field:

I believe that you are looking to map your rows and columns together from all of your different sheets, which is why you should choose the Row report, versus a Sheet Summary report which is specific to this pop-out window. Does that help clarify?

• Thank you Genevieve. its magic , it worked