Can I prefill form data using information from user accessed form

I would like to know if there is a way that data can be taken from where the user clicked on the form link e.g. url and then added to the form automatically saving the user having to manually add some elements of my form.

Context: This will be used as a customer support function. A user would like to lodge a customer support request, they click on the Contact Us form (hyplerlinked to Smartsheet form). The form pulls information like site url, user details from our site and prefills these elements in the form

Best Answer

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@BSM_Dave In my experience, a SmartSheet form is usually unaware of who is filling in the form unless access is limited to users that are logged in to SS.

I almost always ask the form submitter for their "work email", which is part of the information on file (one element of your user details I expect). When the form is submitted, then the link can be made to other details using that email address. The link is not made in the form, but it can be made in the sheet itself.

So you only have to ask the form submitter for that one piece of information. They just have to get it right!

(You could use workflow to immediately send the submitter a confirmation that included the linked info, and ask for confirmation through an update request. Might be more than you need initially.)

dm

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@BSM_Dave In my experience, a SmartSheet form is usually unaware of who is filling in the form unless access is limited to users that are logged in to SS.

I almost always ask the form submitter for their "work email", which is part of the information on file (one element of your user details I expect). When the form is submitted, then the link can be made to other details using that email address. The link is not made in the form, but it can be made in the sheet itself.

So you only have to ask the form submitter for that one piece of information. They just have to get it right!

(You could use workflow to immediately send the submitter a confirmation that included the linked info, and ask for confirmation through an update request. Might be more than you need initially.)

dm