How do I override drag-fill data from sequencing?

I have some phone numbers and addresses that I am dragging down to new rows using Smartsheet's drag-fill function, but it seems to change the last number in the phone number and the last number in the mailing zip code every time. How do I prevent it from auto-sequencing during drag-fill?

I tried the old Excel trick where you add an ' apostrophe in front but it either erases it immediately upon hitting enter, or it ignores it completely and keeps sequencing.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Nick Allgauer

If you're looking to repeat the same phone number or same zip code, copy/paste it into a second cell first. Then drag-fill both cells down:

Selecting two cells before dragging down will tell the drag-fill function that you're looking to repeat the same data instead of increase it by 1.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Nick Allgauer

If you're looking to repeat the same phone number or same zip code, copy/paste it into a second cell first. Then drag-fill both cells down:

Selecting two cells before dragging down will tell the drag-fill function that you're looking to repeat the same data instead of increase it by 1.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now