Pull Data in from a Master Sheet Using a Unique Group ID in a Form

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can help me.

I am trying to update a Master sheet of data using forms. The Master sheet is partially-populated and each line of data has some empty cells. The Master sheet has over 200 line items, but the individual lines are grouped by unique group IDs.

Specifically, I am trying to create the following:

1. A form in which a user enters a single unique group ID into a field on the form.
  2. Then, I would like the form to pull in every line of data with the same group ID on the Master sheet and display all of the associated lines in the form.
  3. Then, the user should be able to manually populate any empty cells and/or edit any populated cells in each line that was pulled in and displayed in the form.
  4. Finally, the user should be able to, then, submit the form with the newly-populated / edited cells that were pulled in by the unique ID and update the Master sheet of records.

If you need any further clarification, I can provide more details.

Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chris Geiger

Currently Smartsheet Forms are unable to surface and display data in the Form from the existing rows in the underlying sheet; you can use a Form to create a new row in the sheet with new data, but it cannot bring in and display information from the sheet when you type in a value.

Are the users who are editing your sheet shared to the sheet at all? If so, I would suggest that using a Filter may be the easiest way to quickly identify all the rows associated with a unique ID and update them.

If your users aren't shared, you could send them Update Requests which would ask them to fill out details for an existing row in a form-like way, via email. However you would need to identify what group ID is being sent out to each contact, this isn't something they could select or type in.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Chris Geiger

Currently Smartsheet Forms are unable to surface and display data in the Form from the existing rows in the underlying sheet; you can use a Form to create a new row in the sheet with new data, but it cannot bring in and display information from the sheet when you type in a value.

Are the users who are editing your sheet shared to the sheet at all? If so, I would suggest that using a Filter may be the easiest way to quickly identify all the rows associated with a unique ID and update them.

If your users aren't shared, you could send them Update Requests which would ask them to fill out details for an existing row in a form-like way, via email. However you would need to identify what group ID is being sent out to each contact, this isn't something they could select or type in.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now