Publish options that *do not expose information externally* to Corp. enterprise firewall

How does one make a set of dashboards accessible to a large group (>100) of internal enterprise Smartsheet users without granting access one-by-one or creating and managing a large 'Group' (using Group management feature which I do have). Using the Group feature is helpful for groups of 10's but not 100's.

I have reviewed the 'Publish KB articles' extensively and thought the below option: Publish -> Read Only-Full -> Available to users in owner's account' would make the link accessible to anyone within my company who has a valid account. Some users are able to access the dashboard links and some get access denied: is this a user account permission level issue?

A more convenient method would be to grant access by our company's Cost Center. I find that the Publish - HTML Read Only option exposes the information external to our firewall.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @RoxK

The description that you posted is correct; when it says users in the owner's "account", this is referring to your organization's Smartsheet account and what users have been added to the plan as either licensed or unlicensed.

If some colleagues in your organization attempt to access the link but are denied, it may be that the email address they're using to open the link does not have a Smartsheet account associated with your organization. Their email would need to be added as a Free User by a System Admin in order for them to gain access: Admin Center: Add, Edit, and Delete Individual Users with User Management

The alternative would be to use the widest level of access, "Available to anyone with the link", then make sure that this link is housed in a place where only users in your company can access it. Keep in mind if this URL is then emailed outside of your company, anyone else can view the data as well, so it may not be a good solution.

You may want to ask your System Admin to ensure all colleagues are part of your Smartsheet plan so they can securely view your Smartsheet data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• RoxK
    RoxK ✭✭

Additional comment around what 'Only available to users in the owner's account' implies from an internal corporate user experiencing the same issue:

<<the way that this was described to me from a contact at SmartSheet is, when you use the "Only available to users in the owner's account" this references any user (licensed or unlicensed) that has been designated in the User Management section of Smartsheet. Our internal Group Admins/System Administrators may not have "all of Amgen" designated with access to SmartSheet.>>

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @RoxK

The description that you posted is correct; when it says users in the owner's "account", this is referring to your organization's Smartsheet account and what users have been added to the plan as either licensed or unlicensed.

If some colleagues in your organization attempt to access the link but are denied, it may be that the email address they're using to open the link does not have a Smartsheet account associated with your organization. Their email would need to be added as a Free User by a System Admin in order for them to gain access: Admin Center: Add, Edit, and Delete Individual Users with User Management

The alternative would be to use the widest level of access, "Available to anyone with the link", then make sure that this link is housed in a place where only users in your company can access it. Keep in mind if this URL is then emailed outside of your company, anyone else can view the data as well, so it may not be a good solution.

You may want to ask your System Admin to ensure all colleagues are part of your Smartsheet plan so they can securely view your Smartsheet data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• RoxK
    RoxK ✭✭

Thank you, Genevieve! I'm glad to have the information and sharing assumptions confirmed :)