Is there a way to NOT update the results of a VLOOKUP formula if the lookup table is updated?

Hello,

The Smartsheet Community has provided me with loads of help for years and this is the first question I have posted. I really appreciate all of the help and attention to detail provided here. Thanks in advance for thinking through my question!

I have a simple VLOOKUP formula that the department value within in the same sheet (a dropdown list of departments) to find the corresponding manager in a separate lookup sheet. It works without any issue.

=VLOOKUP(Department@row, {Lookups}, 2, false)

In my sheet, this formula is returning a manager name into a column showing who made an approval. I just noticed that if I update the lookup table ALL references to that manager in the primary sheet are updated too. This makes sense, and I can see how this can be helpful in many scenarios, but I'm looking for a way to find the manager name, return it to the primary sheet, and have it NOT update if I make changes to the lookup table. I am using this column as a historical reference and need it to be static.

Maybe there is an alternative way to accomplish this instead of VLOOKUP? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!