Formula Multi Select in Dynamic View

Options

Hi,

I have a column where someone enters a multi-select list from a form of missing documents. Someone will then track down those documents and delete them from the multi-select cell until all documents are found and the cell is blank.

I want to be able to track which documents were missing though. So I made a formula to just copy the original multi-select column and then they can change that column and the original column of missing documents wont change. Only the new copy column will change and hopefully be empty by the end of the process.

The problem is the person is working from Dynamic View and a formula multi-select cell doesn't seem to be editable in Dynamic View.

Do you have any suggestions or workarounds?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Chananya

If you're using a formula to duplicate the cell, then when someone goes to edit the cell it will delete out the formula so following rows won't auto-populate with that formula (or if you're using a Column Formula it won't be editable at all).

How many possible selections are there? If you have a small number of documents to select, what about using a Change Cell Workflow instead? You could set up one workflow per document, triggered when the original cell is added or changed, which then adds the same values to the other column. See: Change the Value of a Cell in an Automated Workflow

An alternative would be to Copy the Row to a second, record keeping sheet so that you have a historical reference to check (or you could use the Cell History to view changes as well).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Chananya

If you're using a formula to duplicate the cell, then when someone goes to edit the cell it will delete out the formula so following rows won't auto-populate with that formula (or if you're using a Column Formula it won't be editable at all).

How many possible selections are there? If you have a small number of documents to select, what about using a Change Cell Workflow instead? You could set up one workflow per document, triggered when the original cell is added or changed, which then adds the same values to the other column. See: Change the Value of a Cell in an Automated Workflow

An alternative would be to Copy the Row to a second, record keeping sheet so that you have a historical reference to check (or you could use the Cell History to view changes as well).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Chananya
    Options

Thank you so much. I have a lot of selections so building out the logic in the automation would be too complicated. I ended up doing a copy row to a new sheet and working off that sheet.

Thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!