Using a formula for the colored lights symbols

Hello!

I'm fairly new to working in smartsheets, and I wanted to try and use the formula for updating the status of a task based on a dropdown box. I used the following formula and I am getting a "#unparseable." Am I missing something obvious?

This is the formula I am using:

=IF([Production Progress]@row = "Not Started", "Blue", IF([Production Progress]@row = "In Progress", "Yellow", IF([Production Progress]@row = "Completed", "Green", IF([Production Progress]@row = "Paused", "Red",)))))

Tags:

Best Answers

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Is there an extra bracket on the end?

• Mark Safran
    Mark Safran ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @SabrinaM

You're formula looks right, except for 2 little things:

• - the "," after "Red" in your last condition
    • - the extra ")" at the end

Revise it to edit those out and you should be good (feel free to copy here):

=IF([Production Progress]@row = "Not Started", "Blue", IF([Production Progress]@row = "In Progress", "Yellow", IF([Production Progress]@row = "Completed", "Green", IF([Production Progress]@row = "Paused", "Red"))))

-MS

• Dakota Haeffner
    Dakota Haeffner ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You have a comma after Red at the end there, but this one should work:

=IF([Production Progress]@row = "Not Started", "Blue", IF([Production Progress]@row = "In Progress", "Yellow", IF([Production Progress]@row = "Completed", "Green", IF([Production Progress]@row = "Paused", "Red"))))

Answers

• Paul H
    Paul H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Is there an extra bracket on the end?

• Mark Safran
    Mark Safran ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @SabrinaM

You're formula looks right, except for 2 little things:

• - the "," after "Red" in your last condition
    • - the extra ")" at the end

Revise it to edit those out and you should be good (feel free to copy here):

-MS

• Dakota Haeffner
    Dakota Haeffner ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You have a comma after Red at the end there, but this one should work:

• SabrinaM
    SabrinaM ✭✭✭

Thanks @Mark Safran! I copied from a similar formula but cut out one of the if statements and clearly left those remnants. I feel silly for missing both of those things, but it's sooo satisfying when the #unparseable goes away!

Good catch @Dakota Haeffner and @Paul H as you both found the errors as well!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!