Moving Cards with Formulas (Losing Formulas)

Hi There!

I've build an approval submission system that works off of Card "templates".

In each card, there are subtasks. The formulas are setup for certain fields in the subtasks to be inherited by the Parent Card (for instance, a card might have 5 subtasks, the formula is setup if the Facilitator enters their name on the Parent Card, it is inherited by all the subtasks.

I'd like to move the cards between sheets that represent different parts of the process (Facilitator Sheet, Approval Master Sheet, Governance). When I move the card to a different sheet, the formulas do not move with it which is making for quite the panic attack because having a person complete each field manually would be a VERY LONG and ARDUIOUS process.

What can I do to maintain the formulas present on the card when moved?

Answers

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jonna Critchley,

When move cards/rows between sheets, rows will be moved with their existing values but not formula. That's the way Smartsheet works.

As a work around, in the target sheet, you can use formula column feature in fields/columns that you want they be.

Hope that helps.

Gia Thinh Technology - Smartsheet Solution Partner.

• @Gia Thinh

Hi There, thank you for your response.

No unfortunately, that won't work.

The process is on the parent row the facilitator completes the fields, and then the parent row populates portions of the child row's information if it's the same information as the Parent, so they don't have to repeat entering the same information over and over.

Additionally, we don't want everyone working in one sheet, that's too much risk.

We need the ability to move the card to another facilitator's sheet or another reviewer and the formulas need to be maintained because the reviewer will then need to fill in information on the parent card that would filter down to the child card if the information is the same.