Is it possible to add a formula in a drop down list that adds new entries to the list?

Is it possible to make an unrestricted drop down list that will add new choices from form action? Say someone manually enters a value because their choice is not available but we know that manually entered values will be needed by others later, is there a way to automate the process of adding those entries directly to the list?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @berickson

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• A solution that would be perfect for this use case is the premium add-on, Data Shuttle.

More info: 

Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ok, trying to exhaust creative workarounds first. If I had another sheet (B) where new entries are added through a different form, could I make the drop-down from the first sheet (A) populate according to a logic similar to this:

Dropdown in sheet B Values =Sheet B, column[dropdown values]row, If [nextrow}is not blank, add Value[next row]

• I watched the data shuttle video which is not very informative. Am I understanding correctly that datashuttle can be used to dynamically fill dropdown lists from another source?

So, if the form has an if logic where if "my item is not on the list" it took you to a second form where you added the item to sheet B,

Datashuttle would have some kind of 'update now' button that would add the entry to the dropdown in sheet A?

I have to say, while I like a lot of things that smartsheet can do, the lack of ability to include dynamic data in forms and sheets is glaring in the 21st century. Just to let you know, that is the central functionality of a database and no one wants a spreadsheet if they can have relational data,. Smartsheet is at least 20 years out of date on this. It should have been the first functionality built. Everything else really is secondary. Nothing at all is more important to a product like yours.