Is there are "CHOOSE" function? Calculating quarter from dates

My manager and I have been trying to find a formula that would calculate the FY quarter based on the "Start Date". We haven't been able to use a lot of the formulas we found on the Community because our fiscal year starts in Feb. instead of Jan. We've found a couple of solutions that's working for us now, but it's really long!

I'm curious if anyone has a more elegant solution? or knows of a formula that works like a "CHOOSE" function in Excel? I found an article that has a solution regardless of what month the fiscal year starts - https://www.myonlinetraininghub.com/excel-convert-dates-to-fiscal-quarters-and-years . But I haven't found anything like the CHOOSE function in SS.

Thanks for any suggestions!

This is the solution that we're using now:

=IFERROR(IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 1, "Q4", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 2, "Q1", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 3, "Q1", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 4, "Q1", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 5, "Q2", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 6, "Q2", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 7, "Q2", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 8, "Q3", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 9, "Q3", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 10, "Q3", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 11, "Q4", IF(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 12, "Q4")))))))))))), "")

=IFERROR(IF(OR(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 2, MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 3, MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 4), "Q1", IF(OR(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 5, MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 6, MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 7), "Q2", IF(OR(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 8, MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 9, MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 10), "Q3", IF(OR(MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 11, MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 12, MONTH([Start Date]@row) = 1), "Q4")))), "")

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!