Forms/Workflow

I have an intake sheet that has several columns of information; when the project(s) are reviewed and set for approval to move forward with planning, I have a checkbox workflow trigger that 1) copies the data to another sheet (Project Agreement) containing less information (Project Name, Details, Scope, Out of Scope etc.). 1st issue, when copying a new row from "Intake" to "Project Agreement" all of the intake columns come over as well. Any way to only bring over what is needed from intake?

2nd issue I wanted to create a form and prepopulate it based off the project agreement sheet and create a workflow to send out to the Product Owner/PM to complete the details, scope, assumptions, etc, in preparation for Stakeholder review/approval. I can not get the form to prepopulate with already known data (project name, details, etc.), tried the query, but must be doing something incorrectly, and it sounds like this would need to be a unique URL for each and every row of the project agreement sheet. I then tried the request update, which would work great, expect the form is not customizable and brings in all the extra columns that came over in the copy automation from intake to agreement.

Any ideas/work arounds?

Best Answer

• Jon Mark H
    Jon Mark H ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Carla!

So for your 1st issue - no that's the automatic behavior when a row is copied to another sheet - all columns are also copied.

You could:

1.) Hide these columns

2.) Create a report that LOOKS at the Intake sheet & only shows items that have that one Checkbox checked

2nd issue -

Unfortunately you can't have a Smartsheet form automatically populate with the data for a particular project -

My recommended solution is the do the update request - you can customize which columns show up in this:

While building the Workflow - after you select the "Request an Update" option - click "Customize Message"

Which then gives you the option, not only to customize your message - but also to select the:

Message includes: Specific Fields option - wherein you can just select the fields you want to display to the Product Owner/PM, for them to update any pertinent information before the Stakeholders meeting

Does that workaround solve your problem? Let me know if it does, is close, or if you have any other issues!

-Jon Mark

Answers

• Jon Mark H
    Jon Mark H ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Carla!

So for your 1st issue - no that's the automatic behavior when a row is copied to another sheet - all columns are also copied.

You could:

1.) Hide these columns

2.) Create a report that LOOKS at the Intake sheet & only shows items that have that one Checkbox checked

2nd issue -

Unfortunately you can't have a Smartsheet form automatically populate with the data for a particular project -

My recommended solution is the do the update request - you can customize which columns show up in this:

While building the Workflow - after you select the "Request an Update" option - click "Customize Message"

Which then gives you the option, not only to customize your message - but also to select the:

Message includes: Specific Fields option - wherein you can just select the fields you want to display to the Product Owner/PM, for them to update any pertinent information before the Stakeholders meeting

Does that workaround solve your problem? Let me know if it does, is close, or if you have any other issues!

-Jon Mark

• Carla S
    Carla S ✭✭✭✭

Let me try that out, thank you!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/06/22

Hi @Carla S

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to John's excellent advice/answer.

This might help not to include all columns when you copy the row(s) to the other sheet.

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet, and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Carla S
    Carla S ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Both! I don't know how I missed the "select fields" feature :) I am going to try both options and see what works better for us, @Andrée Starå you solutions will come in handy in other areas I think :D

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Carla S

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.