Copy data from secondary sheets to primary sheet

SteveE
SteveE ✭✭✭
edited 04/14/22 in Formulas and Functions

We are setting up a project approval process. We have a primary “Intake” sheet where initial project data is entered. In many cases, users will be providing project budget and resource information later. We do not want them entering data directly on the sheet so would like to use supplemental forms using a project ID as the key.

My understanding is that if users input additional data from a second form to the original intake sheet it will create a new row – is that correct? If so, we will instead create additional sheets for the budget and resource data input. 

If we do that, how do I know when data is entered into the supplemental sheets and how do I pull that data into the main “Intake” sheet?

Once all of the data is collected on the primary sheet we will kickoff a project approval workflow.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You would need to use formulas such as INDEX/MATCH or VLOOKUP with cross sheet references to pull the data from the secondary entry sheet into the main sheet based on the Project ID.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You would need to use formulas such as INDEX/MATCH or VLOOKUP with cross sheet references to pull the data from the secondary entry sheet into the main sheet based on the Project ID.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!